Wherein our heroine travels to Hangzhou, China to teach English to an assortment of various students, thanks to an... interesting approach to organization. Let us hear a great cheer for intercultural communication.

Friday, July 02, 2004
Backtrack: Buddha Garden and Couple Vine

Right, so the problem with doing stuff all the time is that I never have time to write, and then when I do write, I'm so behind that I forget stuff.* I realized after I posted the last post that I couldn't possibly have written about everything we did that day, and, in fact, I had forgotten to tell about what we did before we went to the temple.

Before we went to Lingyin Si, we went through this amazing series of carved rock walls along a stream bank. They were all carved with images of Buddhas and monks, large and small, high and low, in a small cave and out in the open, everywhere, all among trees and vines and moss and rocks. The little cave we went through had incredibly smooth walls and one particular Buddha carved inside who was supposed to bring you prosperity if you rubbed his upraised hand.

After going through the cave, we came out in a little natural courtyard with Buddhas carved high on the top of the hill above the cave, which one can only imagine was very peaceful and secluded before it became overrun with tourists. The exit from the courtyard was draped in part by a humongous vine. As we watched, couple after couple went to stand in front of it to have their picture taken. Our guide explained that this was because the vine was actually two vines that had grown together and were called a "couple vine." Having your picture taken with it meant you would have a long life together.

*I am back-dating some entries now for the sake of clarity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home