Wherein our heroine travels to Hangzhou, China to teach English to an assortment of various students, thanks to an... interesting approach to organization. Let us hear a great cheer for intercultural communication.

Monday, June 14, 2004
Got Typhoid?

I have typhoid! Sort of. I mean, I have the live virus vaccine pills in my refrigerator, which is rather like having, in the sense of possessing, typhoid. It's a very odd vaccine to take, because I have to take 4 pills, one every other day, one hour before I eat. There are also lots of warnings about what to do if you think you've overdosed yourself on them. I've only got one to go, and I've done it all right, so I'm not worried. Once I'm through with these pills, I'll have (some) immunity to typhoid for 5 years. If you take the injection, it only lasts for 2 years.

While I was at the travel clinic, I also got my Hepatitis A shot. Fortunately, my Hep B and tetanus were up to date, so I didn't have to get them. I say fortunately, not because I hate getting shots, (really, I don't mind them at all anymore, despite what my mother might tell you about my younger years,) but because it's all so expensive. Could someone please explain to me why US health insurance will not cover preventative vaccines for travel purposes, when they would sure have to cover treatment if I got typhoid or Hepatitis A/B? If ever there was a sign that the health insurance industry in this country is run backwards... Although I never made use of it, I left the health center feeling very nostalgic for the universal health care system in Japan. There are most definitely advantages to living in a place where people go to the hospital for a cold because they can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home